The Tüskecsarnok is a reinforced concrete and steel skeleton sports hall designed for the Austrian-Hungarian World Expo 1995 and was built on the Buda side of the Lágymányosi Bridge, which was left unfinished and unused due to the failure of the Expo. The building was made on the basis of the work of the A & D Studio Architect design office, and the plans were made by Antal Lázár and Péter Magyar for the 1993 call for proposals.
The building area was partially created by the passage of the sports facilities of the Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BME) and the Eötvös Loránd University (ELTE), so after the exhibition the universities would have been utilized. The construction of the partially under-floored “floor” floor was completed in 1998, with a about 55% completion rate. Due to the failed construction, the two universities demanded compensation from the state. The nature of the building and its mass are characterized by a series of 84 glazed, spherical “spike” skylights with a 42 × 18 m area, built in the center of the steel roof structure. The roofing of the roof structure is longitudinal metal sheet covering. 2028 fixed seats were designed, which can be expanded by additional 1000 mobile seats if required.
From 2015, the facility will be home to the MAC Budapest hockey team.